Vietnam Pagodas

Thầy Temple

Hà Nội(Chùa Thầy)

Thầy Temple

Overview & history

Thầy Temple (Vietnamese: Chùa Thầy or Master's Temple) is a Buddhist temple in Quốc Oai Commune (formerly Hà Tây Province, now part of Hanoi), Vietnam. The temple is also known as Thiên Phúc Tự ("Temple of Heavenly Blessings"). The temple was established in the 11th century during the reign of Emperor Lý Nhân Tông of the Lý dynasty. It is dedicated to Zen master Từ Đạo Hạnh (1072–1116). It is one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Vietnam. It is well maintained by the monks.

The temple is a center of pilgrimage during Tết.

Geography

The temple is located in Sài Sơn village, 30 kilometres (19 mi) from Hanoi. It sits on the banks of an artificial lake, at the foot of the Sài Sơn Mountain, near Thăng Long Boulevard.

History

Từ Đạo Hạnh (also known as Minh Không) was a famous monk. He was the chief monk at the temple, a choreographer of traditional water puppetry, an inventor, and also a medical man and mystic in his village. The mystic acts associated with the monk include him burning his finger to usher in rain and curing local people of disease by blessing them, in addition to performing many other miracles.

He presented water puppetry (which is unique to Vietnam) at the small lake pavilion which he built in the middle of the lake, in front of the main hall. According to the local belief he had incarnated thrice, once as Buddha in the form of Sakhyamuni, then as the son of King Lý Nhân Tông who later became the King Lý Thần Tông and then as a monk who saved the King Thần Tông also. He created his own brand of Từ Đạo Hạnh cult.

Features

The temple is divided into three parts. The entrance hall is the prayer hall. The middle chamber has images of Buddhas surrounded by demons, made of lacquer and garbed in red-coloured attire. The back chamber has statues of the monk.

The temple has been refurbished many times. The temple has three dedications: to Emperor Lý Thần Tông (1127 to 1138), to Gautama Buddha and his eighteen arhats and to the Buddhist monk and Thiền master Từ Đạo Hạnh. It is built in a typical Vietnamese architectural style. The main prayer hall of the temple has nearly 100 colourful images of different period. At the entrance to the shrine there are two large clay mixed papier-mâché images of the 7th century, each weighing about a ton; these are considered the largest such images in Vietnam.

The main hall contains the temple's oldest image, dating from the temple's foundation: a triptych of Buddha and disciples dating from the 16th century on a high pedestal. There is a 13th-century statue of a bodhisattva seated on a lotus throne, which is a wooden statue draped in yellow. It was made in the likeness of the master Đạo Hạnh in a pensive mood. The statues of Từ Đạo Hạnh and his reincarnation in the form of Lý Thánh Tông are located in the hall next to each other.

Within the same temple complex there is a small shrine referred to as the "old temple" (Vietnamese: chùa cũ). It was founded by Emperor Lý Thái Tổ in 1132 and has been renovated several times.

There are two arched bridges connecting to the temple. Built in 1602, they are named Sun and Moon. One of these bridges leads to a small island, home to a small Taoist temple representing the elements of earth, air, and water. The second bridge leads to a limestone hill. Đạo Hạnh, during the last stage of his life, had walked up to this place and disappeared in a cave. This cave is located in the middle of roots of banyans and is hemmed between a small temple built in honour of the monk's parents and a small temple. Both these are religious places from where there are lovely vistas of the entire valley. There is also a limestone grotto known as the hang Cắc Cớ, "the Mischievous".

Festival

A colourful festival, known as the Thầy temple festival, is held in honour of the monk Từ Đạo Hạnh. It is held from the 5th to the 7th day of the third lunar month. During the festival puppet groups present water puppetry stage shows at the open air theater in the lake. A pageant of tableaux are also taken out on the occasion. Participants in the festivities come from four villages. The sandalwood statue of the master, located in the temple, is moved with intertwined strings during the puppet festival.

During other festivals held here, poems written by Từ Đạo Hạnh and Emperor Lý Nhân Tông are recited.

Visiting tips

  • Dress modestly; remove hats and keep quiet inside the main hall.
  • Incense, flowers and offerings are usually sold right outside the gate; light an odd number of sticks (1 or 3).
  • Most pagodas open from early morning to evening and are free to enter (some major sites charge a small scenic fee).
  • Full-moon days, the 1st of the lunar month and Tet are very crowded; visit on weekday mornings for a quiet experience.
  • Ask permission before photographing inside shrines; do not touch statues or altar objects.

Location

Coordinates: 21.02282, 105.64330

🧭 Directions on Google Maps

Other pagodas in Hà Nội

🏯
Các chùa ở Hương Sơn
Hương Sơn là một xã nằm ở phía nam huyện Mỹ Đức, thành phố Hà Nội, Việt Nam. Tại đây có nhiều dãy núi đá vôi kề bên những dòng suối uốn lượn quanh co. Trên núi và trong các hang, người ta đã cho xây dựng nhiều đền chùa mà trung tâm là chùa Hương trong động Hương Tích. Hệ thống chùa chiền, đền thờ và hang động nằm trong khu vực này dựa theo những ngọn núi đá vôi và rừng nhiệt đới, diện tích tất cả khoảng chừng 6 km².
🏯
Chùa Anh Linh
Chùa Anh Linh hay Anh Linh Tự nằm ở phường Cổ Nhuế 2, quận Bắc Từ Liêm, Hà Nội. Chùa do công chúa Trần Khắc Hãn (công chúa Túc Trinh), con gái vua Trần Nhân Tông đã giúp nhân dân khai hoang, lập làng và xây dựng nên chùa này. Năm 1993, chùa được xếp hạng di tích lịch sử nghệ thuật.
Chùa Bà Đá
Chùa Bà Đá
Chùa Bà Đá, còn có các tên: Linh Quang tự, Sùng Khánh tự, là một ngôi chùa cổ ở số 3 phố Nhà Thờ, Hà Nội, gần hồ Hoàn Kiếm. Chùa Bà Đá được xây năm 1056 dưới đời Lý Thánh Tông. Chùa được dựng trên nền tháp Báo Thiên nổi tiếng của kinh thành Thăng Long xưa. Chùa có tiền đường xây theo kiểu chữ nhất, trung đường xây theo kiểu chữ đinh, được nối liền với nhau, tạo nên một khối kiến trúc vuông vắn. Trong chùa có nhiều tượng gỗ. Chùa nằm trên một con phố nhỏ và dài chỉ vài trăm mét nhưng hiện diện cả hai hệ ý thức tín ngưỡng Phật giáo và Công giáo. Chùa vốn là trường sở của Lâm Tế tông; hiện nay chùa là trụ sở chính Thành hội Phật giáo Hà Nội. Trong chùa có Trường Trung cấp Phật học Hà Nội. Tại chùa hàng năm vẫn thường xuyên là nơi tổ chức các buổi lễ của Thành hội Phật giáo Hà Nội. Trước kia trong chùa có Tượng Phát Lâm (tượng có nụ cười yêu đời) được coi là một trong tứ khí của Hà Nội.
🏯
Chùa Bà Già
Chùa Bà Già là một ngôi chùa ở làng Phú Gia, phường Phú Thượng, Hà Nội.
Chùa Bà Nành (Hà Nội)
Chùa Bà Nành (Hà Nội)
Chùa Bà Nành (còn có tên là Tiên Phúc tự), là một ngôi chùa tọa lạc ở số nhà 27 phố Văn Miếu (Hà Nội), một cổng khác nằm tại số 154 phố Nguyễn Khuyến.
Chùa Bà Ngô (Hà Nội)
Chùa Bà Ngô (Hà Nội)
Chùa Bà Ngô là một ngôi chùa cổ ở Hà Nội, có niên đại từ thời vua Lý Nhân Tông, có tên chữ là Ngọc Hồ tự tức Chùa Ngọc Hồ, hiện nay tọa lạc số 128 phố Nguyễn Khuyến, phường Văn Miếu, Hà Nội. Người Pháp quen gọi đây là chùa Sinh Từ, vì nó nằm trên đường Sinh Từ. Trải qua gần 900 năm tồn tại, chùa Bà Ngô lưu giữ được nhiều văn bia, câu đối và một khối lượng di vật rất lớn ở nhiều thể loại như long ngai, bài vị, các tế khí... Chùa là một kiến trúc tôn giáo đẹp, độc đáo gắn liền với nhiều sự tích và nhân vật trong tiến trình phát triển của lịch sử Thăng Long - Hà Nội.