Vietnam Pagodas

Japanese Bridge

Quảng Nam(Chùa Cầu)

Japanese Bridge

Overview & history

The Japanese Bridge (Vietnamese: Chùa Cầu, lit. Buddhist Temple Bridge) is a footbridge with a temple atop, located in Hội An, Da Nang, Vietnam. It dates from the late 16th century by Japanese merchantmen but successive renovations and repairs on the bridge have occurred throughout the period to the modern day.

Description

The footbridge is 18 meters long and 3 meters wide. A small temple sits on the north end of the bridge, with the entrance in middle of the bridge overlooking the water. The two bridgeheads are built with bricks with two spans each, while the middle portion of the bridge has five spans placed on brick pillars going into the water. The building frame is made of wood and utilizes three separate, but integrated roof systems for the three portions of the bridge.

The bridge's temple has ornate decor, including porcelain bowls used to cap the ends of the roof tiles and statues of a monkey and a dog (the monkey god and the dog god are the two gods who control Namazu in Japanese folklore). Chữ Hán can be found throughout the bridge and temple, including "Lai Viễn Kiều" in front of the entrance of the temple. The temple historically has been an altar to Trấn Vũ with an annual festival dedicated to the deity on the 20th day of the 7th lunar month.

History

During the 16th century, Japanese merchants began to establish residence in the port city of Faifo (now Hoi An) and established their own enclave. In 1593, one group of merchants began building a covered bridge to cross a neighborhood canal. They finished construction in 1595 and improved access between the Chinese enclave on the other side. In 1653, Japanese residents built a temple atop the bridge as a way to, according to legend, placate the earthquake-inducing monster Namazu. With the 17th century withdrawals of Japanese merchants and Dutch East Indies company from Hoi An, Chùa Cầu and its surrounding neighborhood remained relatively preserved.

During a 1719 visit to Hoi An, lord Nguyễn Phúc Chu named the bridge Lai Viễn Kiều, which means "a bridge to welcome guests from afar". According to a date recorded on the roof beam and an inscription left at the bridgehead, the bridge was rebuilt in 1817, though it is not clear if the temple was as well. The bridge would be renovated in 1817, 1865, 1915, and 1986, gradually integrating elements of Vietnamese and Chinese architecture and design in lieu of its original Japanese elements.

As the structure is sinking due to underground erosion, works are undergoing to prevent its collapse.

Honors and designation

In February 1990, Chùa Cầu was granted the status of National Historic-Cultural Relic. In 2006, a 20,000 VND banknote was released featuring the bridge.

Visiting tips

  • Dress modestly; remove hats and keep quiet inside the main hall.
  • Incense, flowers and offerings are usually sold right outside the gate; light an odd number of sticks (1 or 3).
  • Most pagodas open from early morning to evening and are free to enter (some major sites charge a small scenic fee).
  • Full-moon days, the 1st of the lunar month and Tet are very crowded; visit on weekday mornings for a quiet experience.
  • Ask permission before photographing inside shrines; do not touch statues or altar objects.

Location

Coordinates: 15.87719, 108.32597

🧭 Directions on Google Maps

Other pagodas in Quảng Nam

Chùa Hải Tạng
Chùa Hải Tạng
Chùa Hải Tạng là một ngôi cổ tự trên đảo Cù lao Chàm, xã Tân Hiệp, thành phố Đà Nẵng. Chùa được xây dựng vào năm 1758 (năm Cảnh Hưng thứ 19). Chùa tọa lạc sát chân núi phía tây của Đảo Hòn Lao, lưng tựa vào núi, mặt nhìn ra một thung lũng nhỏ là cánh đồng lúa duy nhất của Cù lao Chàm. Chùa Hải Tạng thờ Phật và thánh thần, đáp ứng nhu cầu tín ngưỡng của ngư dân trong vùng và cũng là nơi thương thuyền các nước tín ngưỡng Phật giáo ghé vào hành lễ, cầu nguyện. Thoạt tiên, chùa được xây dựng cách vị trí hiện nay khoảng 200m về hứơng đông bắc, về sau do mưa bão làm hư hại nên năm 1848 (Tự Đức nguyên niên), một số ngư dân và thương gia hiệp lực xây dựng lại ngôi chùa ở vị trí ngày nay. Chùa được tường thành bằng đá bao bọc xung quanh để ngăn trăn và rắn độc. Tam quan chùa cao 5m, rộng 1,5m, dài 6m. Tên chùa Hải Tạng: Hải là biển, Tạng là Tam tạng kinh điển, với ý nghĩa chùa là nơi hội tụ kinh Tam Tạng mênh mông như biển cả. Đặc biệt trong chùa còn lưu giữ một quả đại hồng chung, trên chuông có một con rồng mang phong cách những năm đầu thời Lê sơ, như vậy quả chuông này có thể có niên đại trước cả thời điểm xây dựng chùa. Hiện tại chùa không có sư trụ trì mà chỉ có một cặp vợ chồng già trông nom hương khói. Chùa Hải Tạng còn là một điểm tham quan khi du lịch Cù lao Chàm.