Vietnam Pagodas

Trúc Lâm Monastery of Da Lat

Lâm Đồng(Thiền viện Trúc Lâm Đà Lạt)

Trúc Lâm Monastery of Da Lat

Overview & history

Trúc Lâm Monastery of Da Lat (Vietnamese: Thiền Viện Trúc Lâm Đà Lạt) is a Trúc Lâm Thiền Buddhist temple outside the resort town of Đà Lạt, in Vietnam.

Temple

The temple is located outside the centre of Da Lat. From the district of Hòa Bình in the city centre of Da Lat, the temple is located at a turnoff on the road from the city centre towards Prenn Hill, the temple is near the Tuyền Lăm Lake, located on Phượng Hoàng Hill.

Along the road winding up the hill to the temple, the bell tower is clearly visible from afar. The tiled roof of the pagoda is also prominent, contrasting against the pine forests that surround it. The entrance of the temple is somewhat isolated, so there is a direct entrance to the temple with 61 steps or climbing, or the person can go directly past Tuyền Lâm Lake and then climb 222 steps past the triple gated entrance to enter the main courtyard in front of the temple.

The temple is located on a plot of land encompassing 24 hectares. Of the 24 hectares, there are two hectares that are occupied by buildings, divided into two areas, the domestic areas and public areas. The domestic area is closed to the public. There are two domestic quarters, for monks and nuns respectively. Each of the domestic quarters has two meeting rooms for sangha, a meditation hall, a kitchen, dining room and a shed. Currently, there are approximately 50 monks and 50 nuns in religious practice at the temple.

The public quarters is in a spacious plateau area on the grounds of the temple, at approximately 1300 m above sea level, overlooking Benhuit mountain and the wide expanse of Tuyền Lâm Lake. The public quarters was a building works undertaken under the architectural design of Ngô Viết Thụ and Nguyễn Tín, and was opened on March 13, 1994. The public quarters consistes of a ceremonial hall, flanked by the bell tower on the right and guest facilities on the left. At the front of the guest facilities lies a rose garden, and at the front slopes of the temple in front of the gate is an artificial lake with a capacity of 15,000 cubic metres.

The statue in the main ceremonial hall is of Gautama Buddha seated on a lotus, flanked on either side by Văn Thù Sư Lợi and Phổ Hiền bodhisattvas, respectively known for their wisdom and dedication. An adjacent hall is used on the 14th and 29th of each lunar month, that is, the eve of the full moon and the new moon, the abbot holds a discussion session on meditation with meditation students, including lay Buddhists.

One of the objectives of the temple is to recreate the spirit of Zen Buddhism during the Trần Dynasty that ruled Vietnam from 1225 to 1400. The tradition practiced here was started by Emperor Trần Nhân Tông, who abdicated the throne in favour of his son Trần Anh Tông to become a Buddhist monk and founded a new tradition in Zen. He had incorporated the three sects of Zen that had come to Vietnam from China, the Tỳ-ni-đa-lưu-chi, Vô Ngôn Thông and Thảo Đường into a new Vietnamese Zen tradition, known as Trúc Lâm. This came after he had led royal troops in defeating Nguyên Mông before retreating to Yên Tử mountain to begin his religious life before travelling around the country to expound the dharma.

The Trúc Lâm Zen tradition emphasizes the habit of applying Buddhist practice in whatever surroundings one finds oneself in, for sangha and laypeople alike.

Visiting tips

  • Dress modestly; remove hats and keep quiet inside the main hall.
  • Incense, flowers and offerings are usually sold right outside the gate; light an odd number of sticks (1 or 3).
  • Most pagodas open from early morning to evening and are free to enter (some major sites charge a small scenic fee).
  • Full-moon days, the 1st of the lunar month and Tet are very crowded; visit on weekday mornings for a quiet experience.
  • Ask permission before photographing inside shrines; do not touch statues or altar objects.

Location

Coordinates: 11.93071, 108.45953

🧭 Directions on Google Maps

Other pagodas in Lâm Đồng

Chùa Linh Phong (Đà Lạt)
Chùa Linh Phong (Đà Lạt)
Chùa Linh Phong, hay tên đầy đủ là Chùa sư nữ Linh Phong, là ngôi chùa nằm trên một đồi cao ở số 72 C đường Hoàng Hoa Thám, phường Xuân Hương – Đà Lạt, tỉnh Lâm Đồng. Chùa Linh Phong vốn là một nơi thờ Phật được dựng năm 1940, khi đó chỉ lợp tranh, vách bằng ván. Từ năm 1946, nơi thờ tự này được chuyển giao cho sư bà Thích Nữ Từ Hương. Dần từng bước, sư bà Thích Nữ Từ Hương xây dựng nên ngôi chùa như ngày nay.
Chùa Linh Phước
Chùa Linh Phước
Chùa Linh Phước (chữ Hán: 靈福寺) tọa lạc tại số 120 Tự Phước, phường Xuân Trường – Đà Lạt thuộc địa bàn Trại Mát, cách trung tâm 8 km, trên quốc lộ 20. Chùa còn được gọi là Chùa Ve Chai vì trong sân chùa có con rồng dài 49 m được làm bằng 12.000 vỏ chai lọ. Chùa Linh Phước là một công trình kiến trúc khảm sành đặc sắc của thành phố Đà Lạt.
Chùa Linh Quang (Đà Lạt)
Chùa Linh Quang (Đà Lạt)
Chùa Linh Quang tọa lạc tại số 133 đường Hai Bà Trưng, phường Cam Ly – Đà Lạt. Đây là ngôi chùa đầu tiên được xây dựng tại thành phố này vì thế còn có tên gọi là Linh Quang tổ đình. Ngôi chùa do Hoà thượng Thích Nhân Thứ tạo lập vào năm 1931, sau đó được các hoà thượng trụ trì kế tiếp trùng tu, đặc biệt là vào năm 1958 và năm 1972 dưới thời Hòa thượng Thích Minh Cảnh trụ trì. Ngôi chùa đã được vua Bảo Đại ban sắc tứ vào năm 1938. Chùa có lối kiến trúc cổ, mái chồng cong, trên mái hình long (rồng), lân, quy, phụng được gắn bằng những mảnh sành đủ màu sắc. Tòa chính điện chùa Linh Quang dài 20 mét, gồm ba gian thông nhau. Tiền điện có 4 trụ đồng đắp rồng. Phía trên cửa chính vào nội điện có chữ "Chùa Linh Quang". Chính điện thờ Phật Thích Ca ngồi trên tòa sen, hai bên là Bồ tát Quán Thế Âm và Hộ pháp. Phía sau chính điện là nhà Tổ thờ Bồ Đề Đạt ma. Trong khuôn viên chùa còn có ba bảo tháp và một tượng Quan Thế Âm thị hiện trên thân một con rồng dài bằng xi măng cốt thép được tạo tác rất mỹ thuật.
Chùa Linh Sơn (Đà Lạt)
Chùa Linh Sơn (Đà Lạt)
Chùa Linh Sơn là một trong những ngôi chùa lớn và lâu đời ở phường Xuân Hương – Đà Lạt, tỉnh Lâm Đồng. Chùa nằm trên một ngọn đồi thấp, tại số 120 đường Nguyễn Văn Trỗi, Phường Xuân Hương – Đà Lạt và cách trung tâm khoảng 700m về phía Tây Bắc. Chùa được Hội Phật học Trung Phần khởi công xây dựng vào năm 1938, và hoàn thành vào năm 1940. Đây là một quần thể kiến trúc bao gồm nhiều hạng mục trên một khu vực rộng khoảng 4 hecta. Trong chùa, hiện có một pho tượng Phật Thích Ca ngồi trên tòa sen bằng đồng nặng 1250 kg, đúc năm 1952 và một đại hồng chung cũng bằng đồng, nặng 700 kg, đúc năm 1958. Hiện nay, chùa Linh Sơn là nơi đặt Văn phòng Ban Trị sự GHPGVN tỉnh Lâm Đồng, Văn phòng Ban Trị sự GHPGVN thành phố Đà Lạt và Trường Trung cấp Phật học Lâm Đồng. Chùa từng là trú xứ của nhiều bậc danh tăng Việt Nam thời cận đại như Hòa thượng Thích Trí Thủ, Hòa thượng Thích Diệu Hoằng, Thiền sư Thích Nhất Hạnh, Hòa thượng Thích Mãn Giác, Hòa thượng Thích Từ Mãn, Hòa thượng Thích Bích Nguyên, Hòa thượng Thích Tánh Hải, Hòa thượng Thích Chơn Thiện v.v. Chùa Linh sơn từng là nơi diễn ra Đại hội lần III của tổ chức Gia đình Phật tử Việt Nam từ ngày 31/07/1955 đến ngày 03/08/1955. Chùa còn là nơi diễn ra phong trào đấu tranh Phật giáo chống lại sự đàn áp tôn giáo của chính quyền Ngô Đình Diệm. Nhiều tăng ni, phật tử chùa đã vị pháp thiêu thân để bảo vệ Phật Pháp và hoà bình thế giới như Đại đức Thích Quảng Thiện, Đại đức Thích Thiện Mỹ, Đại đức Thích Viên Đạo và Phật tử Nữ sinh Đặng Thị Ngọc Tuyền ... Từ năm 1938 tới nay, chùa trải qua các đời trụ trì: Hòa thượng Thích Trí Thủ, Hòa thượng Thích Diệu Hoằng, Hòa thượng Thích Từ Mãn, Hòa thượng Thích Bích Nguyên; từ năm 1964 là Hòa thượng Thích Từ Mãn; từ năm 1992 là Hoà Thượng Thích Tánh Hải và hiện nay là Hoà Thượng Thích Viên Như.
Thiền viện Vạn Hạnh (Đà Lạt)
Thiền viện Vạn Hạnh (Đà Lạt)
Thiền viện Vạn Hạnh là thiền viện tọa lạc tại địa chỉ 142 đường Phù Đổng Thiên Vương, phường Lâm Viên – Đà Lạt, tỉnh Lâm Đồng (Việt Nam). Đây là ngôi thiền viện lâu đời, là một trong những điểm tham quan nổi tiếng của Đà Lạt.
Thiên Vương Cổ Sát
Thiên Vương Cổ Sát
Thiên Vương cổ sát (chữ Hán: 天王古剎) hay còn gọi là chùa Phật Trầm hay chùa Tàu là một ngôi chùa tọa lạc trên đồi Rồng, tại số 385 đường Khe Sanh, phường Xuân Hương – Đà Lạt, cách trung tâm Đà Lạt 5 km về hướng Đông Bắc.